Greetings

Greetings in Passing
Hello
Hi
Good morning
Good afternoon
Good evening*
Hey, John.
How's it goin'?**
Whazzup?
*Good night is a farewell (goodbye) phrase. It is NOT a greeting to use at night time.
**Native speakers often shorten "going" to "goin" in casual greetings.

Greetings before a Conversation
Nice to see you.
Long time no see. (I haven't seen you in a while.)
What have you been up to?
How are things?
It's been a while. (It's been a while since I've seen you.)
What's new?
Not much. (answer to What's new?)

Greetings in the Classroom
I'm from...(city or country)*
I hear it's beautiful/hot/expensive there.
How do you like it here?
How long have you been here?

Greetings in Business
Please have a seat.
Thanks for agreeing to meet with me.
He'll be right with you.
Can I offer you something to drink?
My pleasure.

Greetings at a Party or Social Event
Who are you here with?
How do you know Jane? (party host)
I don't think we've met.
Have you been here long?
Have you tried the cheese dip/dessert/punch?
Where did you get your costume?
The food looks great. I can't wait to try the dip.
I love your dress/shirt/hat. It really suits you. (looks good on you)
These decorations are wonderful. I love the table cloth/balloons/flowers.

Greetings in a Friend's Home
You can call me...
Thanks for coming.
Thanks for having me.
I've heard so much about you.
It's nice to put a face to a name.
You have a beautiful home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acrostic Technique

Group Study

What's the best way to revise?